The An Event Apart conference in San Francisco, CA last month introduced me to a lot of interesting projects, frameworks, and tools for Web development. Though some of these have been around for a while, seeing them all together (compiled across all the speaker's presentations) got me really excited about what can be done online. So you can share in that excitement too, here's the list.
Graphics & Visualizations
- WebGL: a cross-platform Web standard for a low-level 3D graphics exposed through the HTML5 Canvas element. WebGL brings plugin-free 3D to the web, implemented right into the browser.
- Natural Earth: a data set (of shapefiles) that people can use to make maps of regions and countries.
- Mapnik: high quality open source map rendering. Mapnik takes XML based location information and allows you to style it.
- TileCache: serves up the images you need to render maps.
- You can design with Mapnik –to draw maps. Serve maps with TileCache. Make better markers with Prototvis. This combination gives you control over the design of geographic experiences online.