As rumors around increasing iPhone sizes (4.8" and 6") continue to swirl, it's worth looking at how prevalent Apple's last iPhone size increase (to 4") is.
- Apple is set to ship their 700 millionth iOS device this October. (source)
- Of these, around 300 million are estimated to be actively used iPhones. (source)
- During 2013, more than half of iPhones sold were 4 inch iPhone 5 models. (source)
- So we can't expect more than 150M active 4" iPhones. In fact, our analytics on Polar reveal 42% of users are using 4" screens making the number closer to 120 million.
- Mixpanel's Analytics show the percentage of 4" active screens to be 44.9% adding up to 135 million. (source
- Last month two new 4 inch models were announced, the iPhone 5S and 5C. Apple sold 9M of these in their opening weekend. (source)
- So the quantity of 4 inch screens should continue to increase but it still doesn't seem to be the majority.